Step 2: Making it healthier
A Healthy School Canteen offers mostly Everyday food and drinks that provide the nutrients necessary for children’s health and wellbeing. However, within the overall categories of Everyday and Occasional, some menu items are better choices than others – and it’s also important to get the portion sizes right.
Use the Health Star Rating
- The Health Star Rating (HSR) will help you make sure your canteen offers the healthier Occasional menu items with a HSR of 3.5 and above.
- It’s a quick and easy way to compare the nutrition of similar packaged foods.
- Find out more about the Health Star Rating.
Get the portion sizes right
- It's important to serve an appropriate amount of food, and kilojoules, for children and adolescents.
- Recommended portion sizes will be required for Occasional food and drinks and some Everyday food and drinks.
- Use the Menu item ready reckoner when reviewing your healthy school canteen. It includes a list of the requirements for a range of meals, snacks and drinks, including portion sizes.