Basic yummy smoothie
- 1.2L (when fruit option is added).
- maximum portion size:
- 250mL primary school.
- 500mL secondary school.
- 2 cups of fruit (fresh or frozen/canned HSR > 3.5) e.g. soft bananas, mixed berries, mango
- 1 cup reduced-fat milk
- 1 cup low-fat vanilla yoghurt
- place all ingredients in blender.
- blend until all ingredients are combined.
- measuring cup
- chopping knife (if fruit requires chopping)
- chopping board
- berry smoothie: Use 2 cups of mixed frozen berries.
- mango smoothie: Use 2 cups of frozen mango.
- banana smoothie: Use 2 cups of soft bananas.
- flavour boosters: Add one tablespoon of honey, malt powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon or nutmeg.
- fibre boosters: Before blending, add a breakfast cereal wheat brick, a tablespoon of oat/wheat bran, or a tablespoon of chia seeds.
- dairy-free smoothie: Substitute milk for 1 cup soy milk, and yoghurt for 1 cup soy yoghurt or ½ cup silken tofu (all options have a HSR > 3.5).
- fruit can be peeled, chopped and frozen in zip-lock bags ahead of time.
- use frozen fruit such as berries or mango for a thicker smoothie.
- this recipe can be multiplied for larger batches or frozen in cups with paddle-pop sticks for smoothie ‘pop’ snack.
Note: adding ice cream/gelato/sorbet (HSR > 3.5) or more than 1 tablespoon of syrup or honey makes a smoothie Occasional.
Recipe tested September 2016.