Chilli con carne
- 20 serves
- ½ tablespoon olive oil.
- 1kg lean beef mince (HSR > 3.5).
- 3 onions, chopped.
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced.
- 2 large carrots, grated.
- 3 teaspoons cumin powder.
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder.
- 2 teaspoons paprika.
- 3 cups water.
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste (no added salt).
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes.
- 3 x 420g cans red kidney beans, rinsed and drained.
- in a medium saucepan, heat oil then add beef and cook for 2–3 minutes or until browned.
- add onion, red capsicum and carrot. Cook for 1–2 minutes or until tender.
- stir in cumin, coriander, paprika, water, tomato paste and canned tomatoes. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- add red kidney beans and cook for a further 20 minutes.
- serve with reduced-fat yoghurt (HSR > 3.5) spooned over quartered baked potato.
- ½ tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon
- 1 tablespoon.
- measuring cup
- chopping board
- chopping knife
- medium saucepan
- wooden spoon
- rice cooker
- Mexican rice: Top cooked rice with Chilli Con Carne, a sprinkle of reduced-fat cheese (HSR > 3.5) and a spoon of mashed avocado.
- jacket potato: Spoon Chilli Con Carne into a warmed potato, then top with reduced-fat yoghurt (HSR > 3.5) or mashed avocado.
- add other vegetables such as green beans, mushrooms and zucchini at step 3.
- for a vegetarian option, swap out the beef for 2 extra cans of kidney beans and add 1 cup of sliced mushrooms.
- use chicken breast/mince instead of lean beef mince.
- replace the kidney beans with 4-bean mix.
Recipe tested September 2016.