Hot vegetable soup
- 20 serves (300mL).
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium brown onion, diced small
- 500g butternut pumpkin, diced small
- 1kg carrot, peeled and diced
- 2 medium celery stalks, diced small
- ¼ cabbage, shredded
- 3 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 x 375g bag dried mixed lentils, rinsed and soaked for 1–2 hours
- 5L water
- 2 teaspoons pepper
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg 1 salt-reduced vegetable stock cube (or 1 tablespoon salt-reduced vegetable stock powder).
- in a large soup pot, heat the oil and fry the garlic and onion till soft on a medium- high heat.
- add in the pumpkin, carrots celery and cabbage and cook until softened.
- add in the nutmeg.
- drain the soaked lentils and add to the sautéed vegetables.
- add in the water, tomatoes and stock cube OR powder. Turn the heat down to medium and allow the soup to simmer for 40 mins. – 1 hour, or until the lentils have softened.
- season with pepper and serve warm in Styrofoam or heatproof cups.
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon
- garlic press
- chopping knife
- chopping board
- large pot
- 20 heatproof cups
- serve with a wholemeal bread roll or add shredded chicken and noodles.
- this soup can be frozen and reheated before service.
- if freezing, REMEMBER – cool the soup to room temperature before freezing; freeze at or below -18°C; thaw in the refrigerator, reheat the soup above 60°C before serving.
Recipe tested September 2016