Lean mean tasty burgers - beef or chicken
- 20 x 90g patties (raw weight).
- 1kg lean beef or chicken mince
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 large brown onions, finely chopped
- 2 large zucchinis, grated
- 1 large carrot, grated
- ½ bunch parsley, chopped
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups wholemeal breadcrumbs
- canola oil spray
- place all ingredients in a large bowl and mix well.
- divide the mixture into 20 even balls (we recommend weighing one patty at the start so you know the correct size – they should be approximately 80–90g each).
- shape each ball into a patty and, if you have time, allow them to set in the fridge for 1 hour.
- just before you’re ready to cook, use your thumb to place an indent in the middle of each patty. This will stop it shrinking into a ball during cooking.
- spray a hot frying pan with canola oil spray and cook the patties on medium heat for 5 minutes or until cooked through, before turning over and cooking for a further 5 minutes.
- if you have an oven, preheat to 180°C. Brown both sides of the patty in frypan for 1–2 minutes on each side before placing in the oven for a further 10 minutes to cook through.
- 2 large mixing bowls
- garlic press
- chopping board
- chopping knife
- measuring cup
- fridge/freezer containers (if storing)
- cling wrap
- serve on a wholemeal or multigrain bun, with sliced tomato and lettuce (optional reduced-fat cheese, HSR > 3.5).
- wrap leftover patties individually in cling wrap and freeze until needed.
Recipe tested by September 2016.