Master vege pasta sauce (and bolognese sauce option)
- 20 serves of sauce
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 120g salt-reduced tomato paste
- 2 x 400g cans diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons mixed herbs (dried or fresh)
- ½ cup water
- 2 large carrots, grated
- 2 cup mushrooms roughly chopped
*3 zucchinis, grated
For bolognese option:
- 1kg lean beef mince (HSR > 3.5*)
- cook the onions and garlic in oil until soft.
- for bolognese option: add the mince and fry until completely browned.
- add tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- add tomatoes, herbs, water, carrot, mushrooms and zucchini. Simmer for 20 minutes.
- if sauce starts to dry out, add a little more water.
- chopping board
- 1 knife
- 1 tablespoon
- 1 teaspoon
- measuring cup
- add extra vegetables such as kidney beans, lentils, capsicum and green beans. Can be used for:
- pasta bolognese
- burrito filling
- Occasional Nachos (with plain unsalted (HSR > 3.5) corn chips.
- maximum portion size for variations 250g (primary schools) and 350g (secondary schools).
- adding Occasional toppings to these variations will make the recipe Occasional.
- you can use dried mixed herbs, or if herbs are grown in your school garden use fresh ones such as basil, rosemary and thyme.
- this recipe freezes well.
Recipe tested September 2016.