Pancakes and pikelets
- 12 pancakes or 24 pikelets
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 egg 25g margarine
- sieve both flours into a large bowl. Make a well in centre.
- whisk milk and egg together in a separate bowl.
- add the milk and egg mixture to the flours and whisk until just combined.
- heat a large non-stick frypan over medium heat. Brush pan with margarine (brush between each batch of pancakes as well).
- pour pancake mixture into the pan to desired size of pancake.
- pancakes should cook for 2–3 minutes or until bubbles appear on surface.
- turn and cook until cooked through.
- transfer cooked pancakes to a plate, cover loosely with foil to keep warm.
- continue steps 5 to 8 until mix depleted.
- serve (plain or with a thin spread of jam or maple syrup).
- measuring cup
- 2 large bowls
- apple cinnamon: At step 3, add 1 grated apple and 1 teaspoon cinnamon, fold through mixture.
- banana: At step 3, add ½ cup mashed banana, fold through mixture.
Recipe tested September 2016.