Vietnamese chicken noodle salad
- 8 serves.
- 250g dried rice noodles (HSR ≥ 3.5«) e.g. vermicelli
- 400g cooked chicken, cut into thin strips
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 red capsicum, finely sliced
- 1 Lebanese cucumber, finely sliced
- 1 carrot, grated
- ½ cup shallots, sliced
- 1 cup bean shoots (optional)
- ½ cup mint, chopped (optional)
*¼ cup coriander, chopped (optional)
For the dressing
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon caster sugar, dissolved in 1 tablespoon of boiling water
- 2 tablespoons reduced-salt soy sauce
- In a large heatproof bowl, place rice noodles and cover in hot boiling water.
- separate with a fork and allow to stand for 4 minutes or until noodles are tender. Drain and return to bowl.
- add chicken and remaining ingredients.
- in a small bowl, whisk dressing ingredients together.
- pour dressing over salad immediately prior to serving and toss through.
- 2 chopping boards
- 2 knives
- 1 tablespoon
- large heatproof bowl
- measuring cup
- large serving bowl
- small bowl
- use different (HSR > 3.5) noodles such as Hokkien, chow mein, or pad Thai noodles.
- add or remove different vegetables to the recipe, ensuring that the overall amount of vegetables is the same.
- replaced chicken with beef or tofu.
- don’t over-soak the noodles or they will stick together and become difficult to manage.
Recipe tested September 2016.