Involving students in strategy implementation
Students are key partners in any school-based program and should be involved in a meaningful way in school decision-making. Their representation will be essential for success.
What can you do to involve students?
- Ask students to assess the current canteen menu using the food and drink criteria from the Healthy School Canteen Strategy to develop ideas for changes or additions to the menu
- Involve students in survey administration, including interviews to determine ‘customer satisfaction’ as the strategy is implemented.
- Engage students in promoting and advertising foods and drinks sold at the school canteen, for example at school assemblies.
- Ask students to taste-test new products to provide feedback on taste, suitability and pricing – different year groups could be involved each time.
- Incorporate menu planning and promotion in teaching and learning activities such as Food Technology.